Sunday, October 25, 2009

Truth

I've been reading Six Dangerous Questions to Transform your View of the World, by Paul Borthwick. I'm also working on a course on Critical Thinking that doesn't strike me as Christian-friendly. These make quite the contrast. Do you believe God to the point that it transforms your life? versus Will you let Reasoning be your way to come as close as possible to wisdom?

The Six Dangerous Questions book is assigned reading for my missionary preparation process. I'm not so very far, but it is a refreshing call to see what the Bible says and how that should effect me. For example, and I've been thinking about part of this fairly recently but the book is also discussing it, if I really think Jesus really is THE way, this influences me differently for other people than if Jesus was A way. As I was reading, I glimpsed that if we're REALLY to SERIOUSLY believe more and more, the life implications may be uncomfortable.

And then there is the reasoning class. I felt a bit offended by it because it seems that if I believe God without being willing to convert to another religion or non-religion if they come up with the better argument, then I am being a not-so-good thinker. So my pride in my intellectual ability is hurt because my faith has become a point against my being a "good" thinker. I'm not sure, but it seems somewhat as if, if the book were taken too seriously, or at least to far, that Critical Reasoning is set up as god.

Anyway, it seems like one of those moments when the way of God seems not to be the way of the World (of course).

And I'm having one of those challenging times in my life when I think it must mean that I am learning/could be learning a lot, and challenges aren't limited to the college front.

No comments: