Friday, December 19, 2008

The second big snow of the year (first of such depth in a long time - check the news for more detail)

Wednesday, my last day of normal student-hood at my community college... it snowed. Shortly after my last final, I walked through the snow to my car. I slipped and fell on my way from the science building to my car. But I survived. When I opened my car, it was like a cave inside because snow covered the windows. When I knocked the snow off the car, snow came up around midway up one tire. The wind-shield wipers were frozen to the car. And the temperature... was probably in the teens. I warmed the car up for over twenty minutes and still the windshield wipers were iced in place. Finally, I talked to my dad (thank God for cell phones) and he said to try to pull them off by hand. This worked. Then, with the car stopped when they were up, as he instructed, I could slap one against the windshield to remove the remaining hindering ice so that they could do their job. Finally, perhaps 45 minutes or more after I had first reached my car, (and after watching a car play in the deep powder snow, at one time driving fast enough that some snow flew over top of it, and after seeing a truck play in the powder snow by spinning) finally I left. The point is, I was more concerned about the hazard of the cold and the deep snow, so I didn't have as sentimental a farewell to my college as I could have. Actually, I think I forgot about the community college ending part (had the snow not been like it turned out to be, I had been considering coming back Thursday to sell back some text books).

It snowed Wednesday and through to Thursday. The snow stopped Thursday afternoon.
See the snow on the back porch?



Here is the back porch again in the light Thursday morning.

I thought it was interesting how the snow on the railing was leaning out.
Supposedly, by brothers and Dad shoveled around 9 inches Wednesday. It kept snowing. I helped them shovel about 22 inches more on Thursday morning. We started around 6:30 a.M. It kept snowing. By the time one brother and my mom shoveled the back porch there was 30 to 31 inches on it. It snowed some more. About 5 more inches were measured on the back porch. So it seems we got around 35 or 36 inches (around 3 feet). One very thorough snow storm. And it was cold, too. At this time, we are plowed out. Thank God for neighbors with equipment.
Only two big snows into the winter (only counting what I qualify as a big snow and remember), and I think there was only an inch or two of fence left above the snow in one place in front of the house (maybe the snow has compressed down some now, though?).

No comments: