Thursday, November 6, 2008

What happened to Just Trusting?

Yesterday, I wrote something for my blog, but when I tried to post it, the main message disappeared. So maybe today I'll actually post something.

But what about?

Seeking God. It seems to be a pretty good solution. Not the kind that takes away the problem. And not the kind that's easy and almost thoughtless. I mean really seeking God. But that requires effort.

Percentages. This percentage of Such-and-such group of people are likely to fall into That group, but of the Such-and-such group, if they also meet another condition, than a new percentage is likely to fall into That group. I've been researching; I'm not just making it up. But why all the numbers and math and trying to make sense of it? Can I change the percent chance? If so, maybe it's worth something. But if in the future I conclude that I can't influence the percentage, then why do I want to know? Why reduce some life-impacting issue into numbers and probability? Does it make me feel more "in control" or less? What does "being prepared" really mean and perhaps is it better not to be? What happened to just trusting? (How much have I ever in my life really fully completely just trusted God?) I'm not implying being stupid, though I suppose trust could sometimes look that way; I'm talking about the trust that appears more difficult (at first, at least) (for me, at least) than worrying.

No comments: